“No Woman Should Have to Pay for an Abortion” Says New Pro-Choice Coalition
For immediate release
Press Conference Details:
Date: Wednesday, October 19, 2005
Place: Charles Lynch Press Gallery, Centre Block, Parliament Buildings, Ottawa
Time: 1 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Pro-choice groups across the country have formed a new coalition: the Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada / Coalition pour le Droit à l’Avortement au Canada (ARCC-CDAC)*.
ARCC-CDAC will work to improve access to abortion and ensure that abortion rights remain protected. Abortion is not a settled issue—it’s still politicized. Many women have trouble accessing it, and many women are paying out-of-pocket in violation of the Canada Health Act. No woman should have to pay for an abortion, which is a “medically required” service under the Act.
Also, there’s not enough abortion doctors, and too many anti-abortion politicians. With a federal election around the corner, ARCC-CDAC wants to make sure that the Conservative Party will never try to impose an anti-choice ideology on all Canadian women. The coalition will also work to increase the number of providers and expand curricula on abortion at medical schools.
- Libby Davies, NDP-MP for Vancouver East
- Dr. Vyta Senikas, Associate Executive Vice-President, Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada, Ottawa
- Joyce Arthur, Pro-Choice Action Network, Vancouver
- Carolyn Egan, Ontario Coalition for Abortion Clinics, Toronto
- Anna Rozenberg, Medical Students for Choice, McMaster University, Hamilton
- Joan Wright, Ottawa Morgentaler Clinic
|Joyce Arthur||Pro-Choice Action Network, Vancouveremail@example.com||604-351-0867|
|Dr. Suzanne Newman||Medical Director, Jane’s Clinic, Winnipegfirstname.lastname@example.org||204-477-1887|
|Carolyn Egan||Ontario Coalition for Abortion Clinics, Torontoemail@example.com||416-969-8463|
|Dustin Costescu||Medical Students for Choice, Londonfirstname.lastname@example.org||519-281-1875|
|Catherine Megill (speaks French)||ARCC-CDAC, Montrealemail@example.com||514-486-9669|
|Judy Burwell||former director of the Morgentaler Clinic, Frederictonfirstname.lastname@example.org||506-460-8105 or 506-451-9060|
* ARCC-CDAC will operate in both official languages. Our French-language press conference will be in Montreal on Oct. 20, 11am, Centre St-Pierre, 1212, rue Panet, Room 202. Please contact Catherine Megill for more information: 514-486-9669.