Federal Election Toolkit
Worried about the October election and what the results might mean for abortion rights and access? Jump into action by using our toolkit! Simply browse the lists below and do whatever you can. Also, please share this page widely by using the buttons in the “Share” section (right →).
- Five Things to Do Before the 2019 Federal Election
- Voting Guide – Candidates to Support and Oppose
- Sample Letter to Send to Your Candidates
- Questions for Candidates
- Solidarity Statement of Support for Abortion Rights
- Sign Our Petitions
- Free Cards!
- Election-related Press Releases, Newsletters, and Articles
1. Five Things to Do Before the 2019 Federal Election
Do you support reproductive rights and abortion access? Here’s five simple things you can do!
- Contact your MP and local candidates to let them know your support for reproductive rights and to hold them accountable. Use our sample letter tool.
- Sign our Solidarity Statement of Support for Abortion Rights.
- Take action on New Brunswick – Sign our petition to the federal government. You can also write to Prime Minister Trudeau and the Health Minister with our petition demands.
- Order some free cards with abortion info / election info to give to voters and pro-choice supporters.
- Donate to ARCC or your local pro-choice group or clinic.
2. Voting Guide – Candidates to Support and Oppose
Here are lists where you can browse ridings across Canada to see which candidates are anti-choice, which progressive candidates need your support, etc.
- Oct 14 – Expanded and updated! – Candidates to Support and Oppose – list of about 129 targeted ridings
- Check Your Riding for Candidates’ Stance on Abortion
- Oct 14 – Expanded and updated! – Selected 2019 Candidates with Stance on Abortion and Voting History – spreadsheet with more details on all Conservative candidates, and those from other parties who may not be pro-choice
- ARCC’s list of current anti-choice Members of Parliament (and those with unknown or indeterminate stance)
3. Sample Letter to Send to Your Candidates
Use our Sample Letter tool to find your riding, your candidates, and how to contact them.
You can send our prepared letter, write your own, message them on social media, or phone them.
4. Questions for Candidates
Please ask any of our Questions for Candidates in any venue possible – such as all-candidate meetings, or when candidates knock on your door.
You can also visit, phone, or email the candidates, or post questions on their social media pages. (To find candidates’ contact info, see Sample Letter tool.)
5. Solidarity Statement of Support for Abortion Rights
Please sign our Solidarity statement of support for abortion rights and access. Both groups and individuals may sign.
One week before the election, the letter will be sent to all party leaders.
6. Sign Our Petitions
ARCC will be using our two Change.org petitions as election tools, by publicizing the results during the campaign, and asking candidates to honour the demands if elected. Please sign them both!
- Petition: Federal Government Must Ensure Abortion Funding for Clinic 554
- Petition: Revoke Charitable Tax Status of Anti-choice Groups
7. Free Cards!
ARCC will cover the cost of the following cards, plus postage. Please limit your orders to no more than 200 total of each type. To order, please email email@example.com with the card number, quantity of each desired, and your mailing address.
- Public cards with basic abortion info aimed at the general public. You can give them out door-to-door as an election tool, at information tables, etc. Two versions are available, both are 6″ by 9″:
- Election cards with info for the public and pro-choice supporters about the possible threats to abortion rights and access posed by anti-choice candidates, with a link to our toolkit. (Bilingual with French on reverse.)
- ARCC cards – bilingual cards with information about ARCC, our goals, and how to join. Please help ARCC grow!
Note: We reserve the right to limit quantities, or to refuse shipment if we are unable to verify that you are pro-choice.
8. Election-related Press Releases, Newsletters, and Articles
Stay informed! Here are links to election-related press releases, newsletters, and articles written by ARCC or its members.
- Press release, Oct 17: Over 1,600 Sign Petition to Revoke Charitable Tax Status of Anti-choice Groups
- Viewpoint: Reproductive Justice: Election woes: balancing reproductive justice with combating climate change, by Tina Beier (Oct 17, 2019)
- Press release, Oct 16: Over 1,000 Canadians Sign Solidarity Statement Calling on Party Leaders to Pledge Action on Reproductive Healthcare
- Press release, Oct 15: Scheer must promise to improve abortion access, not just refuse to “re-open this debate”
- Press release, Oct 10: Closure of Clinic 554 due to “illegal and heartless” tactics of anti-choice politicians in New Brunswick
- Press release, Oct 8: Most Conservative Candidates are Likely Anti-choice
- ARCC Spark, September election issue of our monthly email newsletter to members
- Reflections from an anti-choice “education” session, by J. Doe
(their message: Vote!)