Click to Print This Page     |Send to a friend   |Email Us

What's the difference between ARCC's paper and online petitions?

April 17, 2012

Only paper petitions with handwritten signatures that conform to these Parliamentary requirements can be officially certified and presented in Parliament by an MP. However, many MPs recognize that these rules are antiquated (other governments are increasingly allowing online petitions) and they will support online petitions in different ways, such as mentioning them in the House or asking people to sign them. Further, ARCC has maximized the credibility of our online petition by ensuring that it conforms to all Parliamentary requirements for official petitions, except for not having handwritten signatures.

ARCC's online and paper petitions are complementary and serve different, valid purposes. ARCC is using the online petition as a tool to broaden public awareness about Motion 312 and its dangers, gather support and solidarity, and bring peoples' attention to other tools and campaigns against the motion in order to deepen peples' involvement. In addition, our plans for the online petition include: 

The main reason ARCC is also offering a paper petition is because the anti-choice movement has been submitting paper petitions, and it's important to show Parliament that we have official support for our side too. Another advantage of submitting a paper petition is that MPs are required to present it to the House and it gets read into the official Hansard record. We will ask a number of MPs to present batches of petition sheets to maximize the impact. Finally, the paper petition allows people who are not online to express their opposition to the motion - so please target them if you can. (People who are online may sign both petitions.) Note: You do not need to obtain 25 signatures on every sheet - ARCC just needs a minimum of 25 signatures total before submitting petition sheets to an MP.

Our thanks go to the Canadian Labour Congress for kindly preparing these paper petitions for us.