List of Anti-Choice MPs – April 2011
By Joyce Arthur, Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada
April 3, 2011, updated April 23, 2011
*The list below is now archival. See the updated list after the May 2, 2011 election*
The first table shows totals of MPs who are anti-choice (from each party), pro-choice, or unknown – with comparisons just after the 2008 election and now.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional information or any corrections for this list. Thank you!
|MPs||Just after 2008 Election||Current (prior to 2011 election)|
|Total Anti-choice MPs||116 (38%)||109 (36%)|
|– Conservative Party||97 of 143 (68%)||95 of 143 (66%)|
|– Liberal Party||17 of 77 (22%)||13 of 77 (17%)|
|– Independent||2 of 2||1 of 2|
|Total Pro-Choice MPs||123* (40%)||148* (48.5%)|
|Total MPs with unknown stance||66 (22%)||48 (16%)|
* This estimate includes Conservative and Liberal MPs with a public pro-choice position and/or pro-choice voting record, as well as all Bloc Quebecois (47) and NDP (36) MPs on their voting records and the assumption they are pro-choice.
Here is a separate list of Pro-choice MPs and those with an unknown stance on abortion. (This is a simple list of names and party affiliation, with no other details.)
In the table below,some MPs have asterisks beside their name. These MPs voted in favour of Bill C-484 or Bill C-510, or opposed the Order of Canada for Dr. Henry Morgentaler, but have no other known public position on abortion. It’s possible they are not anti-choice, so they are not included in the total figures above, but are included in the list below. (Please email email@example.com if you have additional information.)
Members of Parliament
|Designated Anti-Choice During|
2011 Federal Election (1)
Order of Canada
for Dr. M (2)
Bill C-484 at Second Reading (3)
|Voted for Bill C-510 at Second Reading (4)|
|Conservative Party of Canada|
|David L. Anderson||√||√||√||√|
|John Baird *||No response||√||N|
|Jean-Pierre Blackburn *||—||√||N|
|Steven Blaney *||Refused to say||√||N|
|Ray Boughen **||—||—||√|
|Ron Cannan||Refused to say||√||√|
|Michael Chong *||—||√||N|
|Rob Clarke **||—||—||√|
|Tony Clement *||—||√||N|
|Dean Del Mastro||√||√||√||√|
|Diane Finley *||Refused to say||√||N|
|Steven Fletcher *||—||√||N|
|Shelly Glover **||—||—||√|
|Jacques Gourde *||—||√||N|
|Candice Hoeppner **||—||—||√|
|Brian Jean||√||Refused to say||√||√|
|Gerald Keddy *||—||√||N|
|Denis Lebel *||—||√||N|
|Ben Lobb **||—||—||√|
|Gary Lunn||√||Refused to say||√||—|
|Dave MacKenzie *||—||√||N|
|Ted Menzies||√||Refused to say||√||N|
|Rob Merrifield||√||Refused to say||√||√|
|Bev Oda *||—||√||N|
|Christian Paradis *||—||√||N|
|Daniel Petit *||—||√||N|
|Francis Scarpallegia *||Refused to say||√||N|
|Gary Schellenberger *||Refused to say||√||N|
|Gail Shea **||—||—||√|
|Devinder Shory **||—||—||√|
|Joy Smith||√||√||√ (paired, absent)||√|
|David Tilson *||—||√||N|
|David Van Kesteren||√||√||√||√|
|Peter Van Loan||√||√||√|
|John Weston **||—||—||√|
|Terence Young **||—||—||√|
|John Cannis *||—||√||—|
|Rudy Dhalla **||—||—||√|
|Wayne Easter ***||√||N||N|
|Kevin Lamoureux **||—||—||√|
|Helena Guergis * (Ind/Conservative)||—||√||—|
* These MPs voted in favour of Bill C-484 but have no other known public position on abortion. They may be either anti-choice or pro-choice, so they are not included in the totals (top of page), just in the above long list (In particular, John Baird and John Cannis are probably pro-choice). (Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional information.)
** These MPs voted in favour of Bill C-510 but have no other known public position on abortion. A few may in fact be pro-choice (such as Ruby Dhalla and Shelly Glover), and Ray Boughen, Ben Lobb, John Weston, and Terence Young are probably anti-choice. They are not included in the totals (top of page), just in the above long list. (Please email email@example.com if you have additional information.)
*** These MPs were opposed to giving the Order of Canada to Dr. Henry Morgentaler, according to a survey done by Campaign Life Coalition, but have no other known public position on abortion.
Column 1 — Anti-choice MPs were listed during the 2011 election. Criteria: They had an anti-choice voting record, or had publicly spoken at or attended events organized by anti-choice groups, or had publicly stated they are “pro-life” or would support abortion only in limited circumstances. (Note: Several MPs on lists prior to 2011 (from 2004/06/08 elections) have been removed due to uncertainties in their stance, or because they have stated they are personally pro-life but would not vote to restrict abortion.)
Column 2 — Whether the MP publicly opposed the awarding of the Order of Canada to Dr. Henry Morgentaler, according to a survey conducted by Campaign Life Coalition.
Column 3 — Whether the MP voted in favour of Bill C-484 (“Unborn Victims of Crime Act”) at 2nd reading in Parliament on March 5, 2008. (Note: Some pro-choice MPs voted in favour of Bill C-484, including Peter Stoffer (NDP) and Liberal MP’s John Cannis, Sukh Dhaliwal, and Francis Scarpallegia.)
Column 4 — Whether the MP voted in favour of Bill C-510 (“coerced abortion”) at 2nd reading in Parliament on December 15, 2010. Note: Harper whipped his Cabinet to vote against it, but 10 out of about 35 Cabinet members still voted in favour of it, as well as 77 of the rest.
- 2011 Federal Election, Candidate Evaluations, Campaign Life Coalition.
- Parliamentary voting record on Bill C-510, “coerced abortion”, December 15, 2010.
- Federal Election, CLC National News, November 2008.
- 2008 Federal Elections, Candidate Evaluations. Campaign Life Coalition. October 2008.
- Canadian National Pro-Life Group Presents Detailed Assessment of Federal Election Result, Steve Jalsevac, LifeSiteNews, October 31, 2008.
- Federal Election Results Mixed for Ontario Gays, Xtra.ca, Oct. 15, 2008.
- Over 100 MPs Oppose Morgentaler Order of Canada – List Released Today, LifeSiteNews.com, August 28, 2008
- Parliamentary voting record on Bill C-484, “Unborn Victims of Crime Act”, March 5, 2008.
- Conservative Minority Poses a Danger to Abortion Rights, Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada, June 23, 2006
- Candidate Evaluations / Questionnaire Results – Federal Election Canada 2006, Campaign Life Coalition
- Ontario Questionnaire Results (2000 Ontario Provincial election), The Interim, November 2000.
- A Discouraging Victory, Joyce Arthur, Pro-Choice Press, Spring/Summer 2004
- The anti-abortion MPs, David Akin’s On the Hill blog, May 12