List of Anti-Choice Members of Parliament – May 2011
By Joyce Arthur, Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada
May 14, 2011 *Revised September 16, 2012*
- List 1 – Totals of Members of Parliament (MPs) from each party who are anti-choice, pro-choice, or unknown – with comparisons just before the election on May 2, 2011 and now.
- List 2 – Known anti-choice MPs as of May 14, 2011. Conservatives • Liberals
- List 3 –Probable anti-choice MPs, but not enough information is available to be certain (these are also on the Unknown list).
- List 4 (goes to different page) – Known Pro-choice MPs and those with an Unknown stance (names and party affiliation only).
Please email email@example.com if you have additional information or any corrections for these lists. Thank you!
(Archived list prior to May 2011 election is here)
List 1: Totals of MPs who are anti-choice or pro-choice
|MPs||Just before 2011 Election||Current|
(as of Sept 16, 2012)
|Total Anti-choice MPs||109 (36%)||106 (35%)|
|– Conservative Party||95 of 143 (66%)||100 of 163 (61%)|
|– Liberal Party||13 of 77 (17%)||5 of 35 (14%)|
|– Independent||1 of 2||1 of 2|
|Total Pro-Choice MPs||148* (48.5%)||145* (47.5%)|
|Total MPs with unknown stance||48 (16%)||54 (18%)|
* The estimate of pro-choice MPs includes Conservative, Liberal, and Green MPs with a public pro-choice position and/or pro-choice voting record, as well as all NDP (100) and Bloc Quebecois (4) MPs based on their voting records and the assumption they are pro-choice.
List 2: Known Anti-choice MPs
In the table below,some MPs have asterisks beside their name (also in red font). These MPs voted in favour of Bill C-484 or Bill C-510, or opposed the Order of Canada for Dr. Henry Morgentaler, but have no other known public position on abortion. It’s possible they are not anti-choice and a few are actually pro-choice (as noted), so they are not included in the total figures above, just in the list below. Further information can be found in the table footnotes. (Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional information.
Members of Parliament
|Designated Anti-Choice At/After|
2011 Federal Election (1)
Order of Canada
for Dr. M (2)
Bill C-484 at Second Reading (3)
|Voted for Bill C-510 at Second Reading (4)|
|Conservative Party of Canada|
|David L. Anderson||√||√||√||√|
|John Baird * (pro-choice)||No response||√||N|
|Steven Blaney *||Refused to say||√||N|
|Ray Boughen **||—||—||√|
|Ronald Cannan||Refused to say||√||√|
|Michael Chong *|
|Rob Clarke **||—||—||√|
|Tony Clement *||—||√||N|
|Dean Del Mastro||√||√||√||√|
|Diane Finley *||Refused to say||√||N|
|Steven Fletcher *||—||√||N|
|Shelly Glover **||—||—||√|
|Candice Hoeppner **||—||—||√|
|Brian Jean||√||Refused to say||√||√|
|Gerald Keddy *||—||√||N|
|Denis Lebel *||—||√||N|
|Ted Menzies||√||Refused to say||√||N|
|Rob Merrifield||√||Refused to say||√||√|
|Christian Paradis *||—||√||N|
|Gary Schellenberger *||Refused to say||√||N|
|Gail Shea **||—||—||√|
|Devinder Shory **||—||—||√|
|Joy Smith||√||√||√ (paired, absent)||√|
|David Tilson *||—||√||N|
|David Van Kesteren||√||√||√||√|
|Peter Van Loan||√||√||√|
|John Weston **||—||—||√|
|Wayne Easter ***|
|Kevin Lamoureux **||—||—||√|
|Francis Scarpallegia||√||Refused to say||√||N|
* These MPs voted in favour of Bill C-484 but have no other known public position on abortion. They may be either anti-choice or pro-choice, so they are not included in the totals (top of page), just in the above long list (In particular, John Baird and Michael Chong are pro-choice). (Please email email@example.com if you have additional information.)
** These MPs voted in favour of Bill C-510 but have no other known public position on abortion. One or two may in fact be pro-choice (such as Shelly Glover). They are not included in the totals (top of page), just in the above long list. (Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional information.)
*** These MPs were opposed to giving the Order of Canada to Dr. Henry Morgentaler, according to a survey done by Campaign Life Coalition, but have no other known public position on abortion (except for Liberal MP Wayne Easter, who is pro-choice).
Column 1 — Anti-choice MPs were listed during or after the 2011 election. Criteria: They had an anti-choice voting record, or had publicly spoken at or attended events organized by anti-choice groups, or had publicly stated they are “pro-life” or would support abortion only in limited circumstances.
Column 2 — Whether the MP publicly opposed the awarding of the Order of Canada to Dr. Henry Morgentaler, according to a survey conducted by Campaign Life Coalition. (Note: Wayne Easter is pro-choice, as shown by his recent comment on the PEI abortion access situation.)
Column 3 — Whether the MP voted in favour of Bill C-484 (“Unborn Victims of Crime Act”) at 2nd reading in Parliament on March 5, 2008. (Note: Some pro-choice MPs voted in favour of Bill C-484, including Peter Stoffer (NDP) and Liberal MP’s John Cannis, Sukh Dhaliwal, and Francis Scarpallegia.)
Column 4 — Whether the MP voted in favour of Bill C-510 (“coerced abortion”) at 2nd reading in Parliament on December 15, 2010. Note: Harper whipped his Cabinet to vote against it, but 10 out of about 35 Cabinet members still voted in favour of it, as well as 77 of the rest of the Conservative caucus (and 10 Liberals).
List 3: Probable Anti-choice MPs
Listings are based on voting record, anti-choice designation in previous elections, partial survey responses to Campaign Life Coalition, indicative public statements, and/or statements made to individual constituents. They are all Conservatives unless otherwise noted, and newly-elected MPs are in bold. These MPs are also included on the Unknown list.
- Steven Blaney
- Ray Boughen
- John Carmichael
- Tony Clement
- Parm Gill
- Ed Holder
- Kevin Lamoureux (Liberal)
- Ben Lobb
- Lawrence Toet
- John Weston
- Terence Young
- Members of the House of Commons, Parliament of Canada.
- 2011 Federal Election, Campaign Life Coalition, Voting records / Candidate evaluations.
- Parliamentary voting record on Bill C-510, “coerced abortion”, December 15, 2010.
- Federal Election, CLC National News, November 2008.
- 2008 Federal Elections, Candidate Evaluations. Campaign Life Coalition. October 2008.
- Canadian National Pro-Life Group Presents Detailed Assessment of Federal Election Result, Steve Jalsevac, LifeSiteNews, October 31, 2008.
- Federal Election Results Mixed for Ontario Gays, Xtra.ca, Oct. 15, 2008.
- Over 100 MPs Oppose Morgentaler Order of Canada – List Released Today, LifeSiteNews.com, August 28, 2008
- Parliamentary voting record on Bill C-484, “Unborn Victims of Crime Act”, March 5, 2008.
- Conservative Minority Poses a Danger to Abortion Rights, Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada, June 23, 2006
- Candidate Evaluations / Questionnaire Results – Federal Election Canada 2006, Campaign Life Coalition
- Ontario Questionnaire Results (2000 Ontario Provincial election), The Interim, November 2000.
- A Discouraging Victory, Joyce Arthur, Pro-Choice Press, Spring/Summer 2004
- The anti-abortion MPs, David Akin’s On the Hill blog, May 12